Disability Services

Disability Policy (PDF)

Accessibility Policy (PDF)



Colby Community College is committed to providing equal opportunities for higher education to academically qualified disabled students who have a reasonable expectation of college success. 

A reasonable accommodation is a modification or adjustment to a course, program, service, job, activity, or facility that enables a qualified student with a disability to have an equal opportunity.

A qualified disabled person is defined with respect to post-secondary and vocational education services, as a disabled person who meets the academic and technical standards requisite to admission or participation in the recipient’s education program or activity.

It is our philosophy that disabled individuals, as they become college students, are to be integrated as completely as possible into the college community.  It is not the program’s purpose to offer a specialized curriculum, nor assume the role of the local rehabilitation office.  Therefore, it is important that disabled students who attend CCC have training and preparation in self care and mobility and assume the responsibility of increasing those capabilities.

Students with a physical disability and/or health conditions requiring accommodations are encouraged to contact the Colby Community College Admissions Office at (785) 460-4690 or email admissions@colbycc.edu in advance of a campus visit. CCC will make every effort to meet the needs of the student. 


The purpose of documentation is to:

  • Establish that the student has a disability
  • Assist the student and Disability Services in determining what accommodations would be reasonable
  • Identify situations in which accommodations may be necessary to assure access
  • Assist in making a logical connection between the disability and the requested accommodations

It is the responsibility of the student to provide information which verifies that the student’s condition meets the definition of a disability as defined by applicable laws (i.e., Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, and the ADA Amendments Act of 2008).  Federal Law requires that requests for services for students with disabilities be considered on an individual, case-by-case basis.

General Information

Sources of information used for determining a disability and/or accommodations may include a combination of the following:

  • Documentation from qualified evaluators or professionals
  • Medical Records
  • School records that show a history of accommodations related to functional limitations
  • Student’s self-report
  • Direct observation and interaction with the student

The documentation should provide information on how the disability currently affects the student in day to day life as well as in an academic setting so that effective accommodations can be identified.  Common sources of documentation are health care providers, psychologists, diagnosticians, and/or information from a previous school that includes psychological evaluation (e.g., accommodation agreements/letters, 504 Plan, or IEP).  Documentation must be presented by a qualified practitioner who is not a family member of the student.

Submit Documentation

Please submit documentation to Disability Services in a timely manner.  Students must follow up with Disability Services by scheduling an appointment to discuss accommodations and services by calling 785-460-5510 or emailing disability@colbycc.edu

Students seeking accommodations that may involve securing services or materials from others outside the institution such as sign language interpreters, books in audio format or specialized housing requests must submit documentation at least 60 days prior to the date that services are needed.

Send documentation to:

Disability Services
Colby Community College
1255 S Range
Colby, KS 67701




Qualifying students may contact Disability Services at (785) 460-5510 or disability@colbycc.edu

Questions regarding Section 504 can be directed to the Office Vice President of Student Affairs at (785) 460-5490.

Questions? Contact Us.

Disability Office
1255 S Range Ave
Colby KS 67701
(785) 460-5510