Promise Scholarship

Promise Act Scholarship

House Bill 2064, known as the Kansas Promise Act Scholarship, provides “last dollar” scholarships to Kansas students after other types of financial aid have been applied. The scholarship may be used toward tuition, required fees, books, and required program materials.

Colby Community College will determine the amount of your Promise Scholarship based on information you provide on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), along with other financial aid you may be receiving. 

If you have questions after reviewing the information below, contact the Admissions office at or (785) 460-4690.

To be eligible for the Kansas Promise Scholarship, you must:

  • Be a Kansas resident, AND
  • Have graduated from a Kansas high school within the preceding 12 months or have received a GED or other high school equivalency credential within the preceding 12 months, OR
  • Be 21 years of age or older and a Kansas resident for the preceding three consecutive years, OR
  • Be a dependent child of a military servicemember who is stationed in another state and who, within the preceding 12 months, graduated from an out-of-state high school or obtained a GED or other high school equivalency credential.

You do not need to be eligible for a Pell Grant or accept student loans to receive the Promise Scholarship. You may be enrolled part-time (minimum of 6 hours) or full-time (minimum of 12 hours). Students must complete the program of study within 30 months of being awarded the scholarship.

By accepting a Kansas Promise Scholarship, you will sign an agreement to live and work in the state of Kansas for two consecutive years following the successful completing of your program of study. Failure to do so will result in your having to repay the amount of the scholarship assistance you received plus interest. The interest is calculated at the current rate of of the federal PLUS loan (Parent Loan) at the time the Promise Scholarship is awarded. The PLUS interest rate is 6.284%, beginning July 1, 2021, through June 30, 2022.

If your program of study continues beyond one year, you must complete a Kansas Promise Scholarship Renewal Application to continue funding eligibility.

How Do I Get Started?

  1. Apply to Colby Community College
  2. Complete the free application for Federal Student Aid for the academic year in which you apply to receive a Kansas Promise Scholarship. Be sure to identify Colby Community College on your FAFSA using the CCC school code: 001911.
  3. Complete the Kansas Promise Scholarship application and return it to the CCC Financial Aid Office.
  4. Choose one of the programs listed below and schedule an appointment to enroll with the Trojan Advising Center.
  5. Sign a Kansas Promise Scholarship agreement. Recipients are required to live and work in Kansas for two years upon completion of the selected degree or certificate.

Eligible Programs*

Please consult with an advisor to understand current transfer agreements.

Early Childhood Unified (B.S.)

Elementary Education

Secondary Education & Mathematics

Please consult with an advisor to understand current transfer agreements.

Agricultural Business (B.S.)

Agricultural (B.S.)

Farm & Ranch Management

* Academic programs eligible for the Kansas Promise Scholarship are subject to change at the discretion of KBOR. Transfer programs are subject to further eligiibility requirements; restrictions apply.