Counseling Services provides confidential counseling to assist students with personal, developmental, or psychological concerns related to their academic progress and/or personal growth. Counseling sessions are free of charge on campus. If students prefer, they may seek services off campus at a discounted rate with referral from Counseling Services.

If you have questions or would like to set up an appointment, please contact Brooke Jones by email ( or call 785-460-5439.

Counseling Issues

Generally, people seek counseling because they are struggling with issues that affect the way they feel or inhibit their ability to go about their daily lives or meet their goals.  These issues can interfere with relationships, affect one's ability to concentrate on school or work, impact one's energy level, appetite, and sleep, and/or create feelings of depression, anxiety, and stress.  Specifically, people come to Counseling Services for a variety of reasons including:

  • Depression
  • Anxiety/panic
  • Test anxiety
  • Stress management
  • Relationships
  • Time management
  • Conflict resolution
  • Concerns involving drug & alcohol use
  • Feeling of insecurity & self-doubt
  • Homesickness & adjusting to campus life
  • Eating disorders
  • Sexuality
  • Dealing with anger
  • Abuse issues
  • Grief


What To Do If You Are A Victim Of Sexual Misconduct

Safety Measures

Anyone with knowledge about sexual misconduct or gender-based violence, which typically include the crimes of rape, acquaintance rape, domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, sexual harassment, or stalking, is encouraged to report it immediately. If you are the victim, some or all of these safety suggestions may guide you after an incident has occurred:

  1. Go to a safe place and speak with someone you trust.  Tell this person what happened.  If there is any immediate danger, contact the residence hall on-call number at (785) 443-4594 or 911.

  2. Consider securing immediate professional support (e.g.: counseling, victim advocacy, medical services, law enforcement, campus officials, etc.) to assist you in the crisis.

    • OPTIONS- Victim Advocacy and Domestic and Sexual Violence Services, Toll Free Kansas Crisis Line at 1-(800) 794-4624 or (785) 460-1982
    • Colby Citizens Medical Center, (785) 462-7511
    • Colby Medical and Surgical Center, (785) 462-3332      
    • Heartland Rural Counseling Services (785) 460-7588
    • New Beginnings Counseling (785) 462-3308
    • The Colby Police Department (785) 460-4460

            On campus support:

    • Counseling Services- Brooke Jones, (785) 460-5439, Thomas Hall 
    • Health Services- Monique Eaton, (785) 460-5502, Student Union  
    • VP/Student Affairs- Dr. George McNulty, (785) 460-5490, Student Union
    • Campus Security- John Cersvosky, (785) 460-5508, Student Union 
    • Director of Residence and Student Life, Jim Rorabaugh, (785) 460-5552, Living Center Northeast
    • AD Residence and Student Life, Mallory Green, (785) 460-4610, Student Union.

  3.  For your safety and well-being, immediate medical attention is encouraged.  Being examined as soon as possible, ideally within 120 hours, is important in the case of rape or sexual assault. 

    (A). To preserve evidence, it is recommended that you do not bathe, shower, douche, eat, drink, smoke, brush your teeth, urinate, defecate or change clothes before receiving medical attention.  Even if you have already taken any of these actions, you are still encouraged to have prompt medical care, and evidence may still be recoverable. 

    (B). Typically, if police are involved or will be involved, they will obtain evidence from the scene, and it is best to leave things undisturbed until their arrival.  They will gather bedding, linens or unlaundered clothing and any other pertinent articles that may be used for evidence. 

    (C). It is best to allow police to secure items in evidence containers, but if you are involved in transmission of items of evidence, such as to the hospital, secure them in a clean paper bag or clean sheet, to avoid contamination. 

    (D). If you have physical injuries, photograph or have them photographed, with a date stamp on the photo.  Record the names of any witnesses, and their contact information.  This information may be helpful to the proof of a crime, to obtain an order of protection or to offer proof of a campus policy violation. 

    (E). Try to memorize details (physical description, names, license plate number, car description,), or even better, write notes to remind you of details, if you have time and the ability to do so. 

  4.  Even after the immediate crisis has passed, consider continued support on or off-campus.

  5.  Contact the Vice President of Student Affairs/Title IX Coordinator if you need assistance with no-contact orders or other protective measures.  The college will also assist in any needed advocacy for students who wish to obtain protective or restraining orders from local authorities.  If you obtain external orders of protection (e.g. restraining orders, injunctions, protection from abuse), please notify Campus Security so that those orders can be observed on campus. 
  6. If you are a victim and decline to report it to campus authorities or law enforcement please secure medical attention and victim support resources listed in this publication.

If you have questions or concerns about what to do in the event this should happen, please stop by Student Health.  If you need counseling services, please contact Brooke Jones by email ( or call 460-5439.




The mission of Colby Community College is engaging others in learning and service opportunities to positively affect their world.  

Request  Information.


Colby Community College is committed to affirmative action, equal opportunity and diversity.


NC-SARA logo round.png           KanVet Logo


Call us at: 785.462.3984 or Toll Free: 888.634.9350

Visit our campus: 1255 South Range, Colby, KS 67701

Copyright 2000-2016 Colby Community College. All Rights Reserved.


Facebook Button    Twitter Button    YouTube Button    Instagram Button    LinkedIn Button    GooglePlus Button