Adult & Continuing Education
You must call or come by to pre-enroll. After attending orientation, you are placed into the proper class based on assessment scores.
Classes are held Monday through Thursday with individualized lab times on Friday. You can sign up for the 9:00am-12:00pm, 1:00-4:00pm or the 6:00-10:00pm classes. Classes will include daily instruction, along with worksheets, practice tests, reading materials, group discussions and even some games.
Blended Class Option
Students may take advantage of blended classes which involve both on-site and online participation. You must qualify for this option, so make sure to ask when enrolling.
Eligibility for Adult Education
- Adults over the age of 16 who do not have a high school diploma
- Individuals holding a high school credential who qualify through initial assessments
If you are 16 or 17, you must complete the following:
- **Minors are encouraged to complete high school if at all possible.**
- Obtain a compulsory school attendance disclaimer from the high school in the public school district in which you live.
- Complete an "underage conference" prior to enrollment. This can be scheduled with the Adult Education office; a parent or guardian must attend and sign off on documentation.
Cost for Adult Education Classes
Colby Community College Adult Education classes are funded by federal and state grants and local support and are provided without charge. Books, calculators, materials and computers are made available for student use by the program.
General Educational Development
The 2014 GED® test is a four-subject high school equivalency test that measures skills required by high schools and requested by colleges and employers. After passing the GED® test, Test-takers will receive a GED® transcript to apply to college, start training, or get a better job, as well as a diploma issued by the state of Kansas.
Subjects, time, and cost of each test are listed in the following table.
|Science||$33||90 minutes, one single section|
|Social Studies||$33||90 minutes, broken down into two sections: |
|Mathematical Reasoning||$33||115 minutes, one single section|
|Reasoning through Language Arts||$33||150 minutes, broken down into three sections: |
All Test-takers must create a MyGEDTM portal account at www.ged.com. Test-takers will use their MyGEDTM portal account to schedule and pay for exams. The MyGEDTM portal account will also provide additional resources to the Test-taker.
For questions or assistance with scheduling the 2014 GED® test contact Colleen Lopez at 785.460.5480.