Before students are allowed to enroll in mathematics, English, or reading courses through Colby Colby Community College, they must demonstrate readiness for coursework through their ACT scores and/or the COMPASS placement test.
Students who are exempt from placement testing include:
- Students who have earned a bachelor's or an associate degree.
- Students who have successfully completed ("C" or higher) and followed the developmental sequence in math, writing, or reading are exempt from the requirement for assessment in that subject only.
- Students who have successfully completed ("C" or higher) a 100-level or above course in English are exempt from the requirement for assessment in English and reading.
- Students who have successfully completed ("C" or higher) a 100-level or above course in mathematics are exempt from the requirement for assessment in mathematics.
- Students who have taken the ACT/SAT test within two years prior to enrollment and have scores within the acceptable range are exempt from placement testing in that subject area only.
Students must follow the sequence of developmental courses and pass with at least a "C" to move to the next level.
Students may retake COMPASS at a cost of $5.00 per section for the following reasons:
- Students feel placement results do not accurately reflect their abilities.
- Students feel they have improved their skills through refresher work or previous developmental course work.
- Students feel the grade received does not reflect their abilities and/or they desire to advance in the course sequence.
Mandatory Placement Guide
|Mathematics||ACT Score||COMPASS Score||SAT Score|
|MA050: Math Essentials||0-13||Pre-Algebra 0-21||200-339|
|MA076: Beginning Algebra||14-17||Pre-Algebra 22-100|
|*MA169: Survey of Mathematics||18-20||Algebra 31-49||420-519|
|MA177: Intermediate Algebra||19-21||Algebra 31-49||420-519|
|MA178: College Algebra||22 & up||Algebra 50-100|
College Algebra 0-43
|520 & up|
|MA220: Calculus I||24 & up||College Algebra 0-43||600 & up|
|Composition||ACT Score||COMPASS Score||SAT Score|
|EN077: Fundamentals of Writing I||0-11||0-22||0-250|
|EN078: Fundamentals of Writing II||12-17||23-54||251-430|
|EN176: English Composition I||English score 18 & up|
Reading score 18 & up
|Writing score 55 & up|
Reading score 73 & up
|Writing score 431 & up|
Reading score 460 & up
|Reading||ACT Score||COMPASS Score||SAT Score|
|EN014: Reading & Study Skills I||0-11||0-53||0-250|
|EN015: Reading & Study Skills II||12-17||54-72||251-459|